Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Russian Gun Imperial Stout

So, it didn't take much convincing. Jeff is on board with the blog. In fact, he was eager to get his first review up here.

Here's what he said about the Russian Gun Imperial Stout from Grand River Brewing in Cambridge, Ont.
It's been awhile since I've had Russian Gun from Grand River Brewing - definitely before they did the re-packaging. The first time I had it (a couple of years ago?), I found it to be too watery. But since then I've become a big fan of their Galt Knife Lager so I figured I'd give this another go - maybe I had a bad bottle, or maybe it was a bad batch? The brewery is definitely capable of good brew.

Pours a deep black coffee colour - maybe it's a black hole, light doesn't seem to escape from it - with a creamy head that leaves nice lacing. A roasty and chocolately smell on the nose as I'd expect. This is definitely not the watery beer I remember - mouthfeel is where I'd want it to be for a stout: substantial. Nice roast and dark malt flavours with a finish that's not overly bitter. It's hard to believe this beer is 8.5% abv - very drinkable.
Now, I didn't get a taste of this one - Jeff was far too busy reviewing it, holding it up to our kitchen light and giving this first post from him lots of thought - but I believe I've had it before and like most stouts, I liked it.

The brewery itself is in the old Galt Knife Company building - which, of course, also lends the name to one of their beers. There is a retail store on site and they give tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment