Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Garrison - Martello Stout


Jeff is back again today - he had a long day at work and came home to enjoy the Martello Stout from Garrison brewery in Halifax. (What better way to cap off a long day, right?)

When I got to try it, I found it had a "fruitier" or sweeter taste than other stouts I've had.

Here's what Jeff had to say:

Another stout - this time though its not Imperial. The Martello Stout from Garrison weighs in at 4.8% abv. I first tried a Garrison beer when they offered their Imperial IPA at the LCBO this past fall. They must not have ordered much - or it was in huge demand. When I ordered a case of 12 through the LCBO, they told me I could only have 8 bottles because that's all that store could get their hands on. Shortly after that I heard of a private order being organized by the guys at The Bar Towel and I ordered a case of the Black IPA and Brewmaster's Mixer - two bottles of the Martello came in that one.

Not surprisingly this stout also looks intensely dark in colour. I dunno, I'm not a colour master - how many of shades of dark brown-black are there?  The lacing is superior to the Russian Gun, I think. There's more chocolate and toffee in this stout's smell - and that carries over into the taste as well. The finish is less dry than the Russian Gun as well which might make it more accessible. The mouthfeel is a little lighter than I'd like for a stout if I was drinking it on its own. But I bet this would be awesome with a nice steak or cheese - who needs wine?

Now, Jeff also wanted to offer a correction to the blog.

And just to clarify, I don't favour Ontario beers. I prefer craft beers, and being in Ontario means that most of the craft beers available to me are brewed in Ontario. I really wish there was more availability of different Canadian craft beers, American craft beers and any other craft beers in the LCBO and TBS - competition can only up everyone's game.

Thanks for making wifey look like she doesn't know what's talking about, love of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment