Sunday, February 20, 2011

Muskoka Cottage Brewery - Muskoka Harvest Ale

I (Jeff) discovered the Muskoka Harvest Ale last fall and have enjoyed several bottles of it.

From what I understand, the Harvest Ale is brewed using only ingredients from Ontario. It comes in a 750mL swingtop bottle - a nice presentation that makes it suitable for a host/hostess gift instead of the usual bottle of wine. 


I bought this bottle back in November/December. It was coming up on its best before date and wanted to make sure I drank it before it lost too much of its flavour. 


The beer looks fantastic: A great copper liquid with tiny carbonation bubbles rising to a thick and creamy head. The hops in this English pale ale are more floral/grassy than citrusy. The beer's also got a decent malt backbone - a nice caramel - to compliment the bitterness of the hops. 


It still has a slightly bitter finish - which I find to be ideal when drinking with food. 


I remember enjoying a bottle of this with Thanksgiving dinner - I thought it'd be nice since this beer is supposed to celebrate the harvest as well. I'm no pairing expert - normally I just drink what I like with food - but it was great with that turkey. 


The sad thing is, Harvest Ale is done for the year. Now you'll have to wait until September for 2011's offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment