Saturday, February 26, 2011

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) Infinium


When the LCBO announced they were going to be selling Sam Adams's Utopias this year through a lottery system, it had me intrigued. A bottle of beer (granted 710mL) selling for $115 - and they needed a lottery system to handle demand? I thought about entering the lottery but never acted before the deadline so I missed out on Utopias.

Then I found out about another premium Sam Adams beer the LCBO was bringing in: Infinium. At $15/bottle this was a steal by comparison. It was also going to be in limited supply but Guelph was lucky enough to have it stocked in two of its LCBO locations.

When I walked in to the local LCBO, Infinium didn't appear to be as rare as I first thought it'd be. There were boxes of it throughout the store and in different departments. Maybe the LCBO got more cases at the last minute? Or maybe other buyers knew something I didn't at the time - maybe it's not worth $15? No, that can't be ...

Placing Infinium in both the beer and wine aisles makes sense. This beer is a lot like a champagne: Very fruity, though not as sweet, and highly carbonated. The beer is even packaged in a champagne bottle with a cork and cage. The beer has an apple cider colour and has an enormous, big bubble head that quickly dissipates to leave just a ring at the edge of the glass. When I drink champagne, I normally drink it cold so I figured I'd start there for tasting the beer. It smells of dried fruit and tastes of it too. Its kind of like a Belgian tripel mixed with champagne - I definitely get that alcohol taste I find in champagne's aftertaste. Letting the beer warm-up did not make things better in my opinion - I found it introduced a strange aftertaste. 


Maybe it’s because I'm not a big champagne drinker - or maybe it’s because I'm not a huge tripel fan - but I was not a fan of this beer. Even if this beer was more reasonably priced between $5-$10, I still would not but it again.

Not every beer you try is going to be one you like.
Kate's note: It was too sweet and I was not a fan. I had two sips and thought the smell reminded me of icewine (which I don't mind on occasion, but didn't expect that taste in a beer).


ETA: Jeff and I were in the LCBO in Guelph on March 6 and they still had quite a few bottles in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment