Thursday, March 14, 2013

IPA heaven in the U.S.

Jeff had a work trip to the U.S. last week - Manassas, Virginia - and made sure to stop at a store called Total Wine, where he picked up a number of beers.

The cashier joked he was in for a "hoppy" evening given his beer selection.

I've already told you guys about his "religious experience" with the Imperial Amber Nugget Nectar from Troegs Brewing.

But of course he had more than just one beer while he was down there.


New Belgium's Rampant Imperial IPA

"I get pineapple, pine and lemon," Jeff wrote in an e-mail about this New Belgium Brewery beer. "It's a big letdown following the amazing Nugget Nectar. It's not bad - it's actually pretty good - but it's so far behind Nugget Nectar."


Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA

This bottle-conditioned beer was "not bad," Jeff said.

"My pour ended up giving me yeast suspended throughout, which I don't mind. I think I got an older pack as the hops seem somewhat muted," he said.

This beer has won a few awards at the Great American Beer Festival, the brewery notes on its website.


Dogfish Head's Burton Baton Imperial IPA

This beer from Dogfish Head was the second best of the four he had, Jeff said.

It was a lot maltier than he was expecting, and he said the oak barrel came through nicely - woody and vanilla.

"I'm surprised at how sweet it is," Jeff said. "Not much bitterness either. It's really tasty, but the Imperial IPA label sets you up for expecting something else."

He added, "Also, how is this 10%? It is crazy well hidden. I could see someone drinking quite a few of these and then realizing, 'Oh no, I'm blitzed. Bah. Litzed.' Very dangerous."

No comments:

Post a Comment