Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hop City's Big Mouth Pale Ale

It's not very often Jeff doesn't find some redeeming quality about a beer, but it does happen. Unfortunately for Hop City, it's with their Big Mouth Pale Ale.

I'll let him explain:

"I wasn't expecting much from this beer. But when I first opened the can to pour it into the glass, I got a whiff of some citrus hops. Could I have judged it too soon? I took a second sniff and it was gone. It didn't taste any better: It's overwhelmingly sweet to me. And it's not bready, or caramel - it tastes just syrupy sweet, like sugar. This beer isn't worth the 'craft' price.

"If you're looking for an American Pale Ale offering from Ontario, you're much better off with Flying Monkey's Hoptical Illusion - not overly hopped (good for the uninitiated) but still has hop aroma and hop flavour. Nickel Brook's Naughty Neighbour APA has also been great the handful of times I've had it. Thankfully it'll get wider distribution soon since it will be stocked at the LCBO and the Beer Store."

No comments:

Post a Comment