Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Spearhead Brewery Hawaiian Style Pale Ale & Cheshire Valley IPA

When Kate and I were at the Wooly for Father’s Day, I saw posters around the bar announcing that Spearhead Brewery would have their Hawaiian Style Pale Ale available on tap at the Wooly starting June 23. I had heard rumours about Spearhead on the Bar Towel forums - at the time, all that was definite was that it was a new brewery opening. I made it a point to make it to the Wooly on the 23rd to see what this beer was all about.

Hawaiian Style Pale Ale is a west coast pale ale with the addition of pineapple juice. It’s naturally carbonated, unfiltered and unpasteurized. It’s relatively strong at 6.5% ABV and has a bitterness of 60 IBUs - not the booziest or bitterest IPA out there, but not a slouch either.

The beer was served in a tulip glass and had a thick, rocky white head. It was a beautiful hazy apricot colour. It was nice to get the beer served in an appropriate glass - the tulip glass really concentrates the aromas of the beer. I wish I had a proper tulip glass at home; it’s amazing how different a beer can taste from different glassware. My one complaint about the serving was that it was served too cold. It was excruciating to wait for the beer to warm up.

As I mentioned, the glassware helped appreciate the beer’s nose: nice pine and grapefruit with a hint of sweetness. The initial flavour was honey and caramel; the middle was a nice bitter zest taste; and the finish was decidedly bitter with grapefruit rind. I looked for the “tropical finish” the brewer mentioned but I couldn’t find the pineapple. It might be just too subtle for me. Although after drinking the pint, it seems pretty light on the tongue.

It is a very nice addition to the Ontario market.



The second beer, the Cheshire Valley IPA, was a total surprise find - I had no idea it was going to be on tap. I’ve had a couple of beers from Cheshire Valley - all beers are contract brewed at Black Oak Brewery - and every one I’ve had so far has been good.

The bubbles on the head of the CV IPA are much finer than on the head from the Spearhead. The head isn’t as thick but there’s a good amount of lacing and it sticks around until the end of the pint.

The Cheshire Valley was at a disadvantage in aroma due to the glass - it was a nonic pint glass. Plus, I had nachos in between which definitely affected my palate. I did get a subtle citrus aroma. The taste starts with a good amount of caramel malt flavour. That’s balanced out by a decent amount of bitterness and spiciness from the hops. The spiciness lingers after you’ve swallowed - I’m pretty sure that was the beer and not the nachos. Another solid beer from Cheshire Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment