Sunday, June 26, 2011

Muskoka Brewery's Mad Tom IPA

Jeff was excited to try Muskoka Brewery’s Mad Tom IPA after really enjoying their Harvest Ale last fall. Here’s his review.

After enjoying the Harvest Ale, I was anticipating they’d do another great beer with this one and raise the bar again.

The beer pours a nice golden colour with about a finger or so of head. The head retention isn’t bad and when it dissipates it leaves a nice amount of lacing.

The description on the back of the bottle says: “this IPA has a vibrant aroma, depth of flavour and crisp citrusy undertow like no other.” I was a little disappointed with the aroma. I get some spicy floral on the nose but to me “vibrant” means it should be unmistakable. Instead, I found myself searching for it.

The taste has a good biscuity malt backbone to balance the hops - the bitterness starts with pine and leads into citrus. Each sip begins with a little sweetness that’s dragged back in - I think the use of “undertow” on the packaging was a good call. And as the beer warms up, I get more of an orange peel. Drinking it, I wouldn’t expect it to be 6.4% ABV. The alcohol content is integrated well into the beer.

As good as this beer is, I think I was expecting more. This beer’s a victim of its brewer’s past successes. It’s certainly a great addition to the Ontario IPA market - being one of only a few - and it’s better than several American craft brewed IPAs, but I think Muskoka could have reached a little further on this one. I would have liked to have seen this one unfiltered and unpasteurized. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment