Saturday, March 5, 2011

Flying Monkeys - Hoptical Illusion

Jeff sent me this photo to post.
I really need to reshoot this bottle - this photo
doesn't do it justice at all.
I have to say - I am surprised Jeff has not reviewed this beer before now. I kind of thought he would have insisted it be his first one.

He goes through spurts where he has a new favourite beer. It usually lasts a couple of months until something new comes along.

Well, for months now, Hopical Illusion has been a mainstay in our fridge.

Might I add, I do love this label and I enjoy the little phrases/jokes under the caps of Flying Monkeys beer bottles.

Anyway, here's Jeff's take on this beer.

As I’ve mentioned before, Flying Monkeys’ Hoptical Illusion is a go-to beer for me. It’s a great beer for those who are starting to explore hoppier beers. While I love hoppy beers, it’s also nice to have a milder hoppy beer to give your mouth a break. It’s not super bitter like some American IPAs but it is definitely stronger than any micro brew you can find. 
 
I know the bitterness from hops can be a turn-off to some at first. And while Hoptical Illusion keeps the bitterness at bay, it still manages to keep that great citrus hop nose - just smelling it lets you know it’s going to be refreshing.
 
The beer pours a great copper colour and has a nice thick head. When it eventually dissipates, the head leaves great lacing. Make sure to smell this beer - it has a great grapefruit smell. The bitterness is toned down but there is some there. The bitterness that is there is balanced with a nice caramel malt flavour.
If you’ve shied away from hoppy beers in the past, this is a great beer to reintroduce you to a great flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment