Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wellington Ce'da Bitter Blue

I mentioned Wellington’s Ce’da Bitter Blue around Father’s Day. Wellington used it to help kick off Ontario Craft Beer Week. 

The intention was to get around to reviewing it before now, but I’ve been putting it off. 

The beer itself is an English bitter with blueberries and aged on cedar boughs. Certainly not your run of the mill creation. Also not your run of the mill name - I know Kate really hates the location of the apostrophe and really thinks it should be Ceda’ not Ce’da since they’re replacing the “r.”

The beer pours an clear orange colour. When I poured this beer there was absolutely no carbonation. I thought when I tried it back in June there was somewhat more - maybe not. I’m wondering if there was something wrong with the canning process. I did notice while looking through the beer there’s some sediment suspended in the beer - I think that’s leftover bits of blueberry.

Putting my nose in the glass I can smell some berries and flowers and maybe a touch of cedar.The first time I tried it, I don’t remember tasting any of the blueberry. I was curious if the blueberry flavour had developed at all.

Unless my memory’s playing tricks on me, the blueberry now is much stronger. And at the end of the beer, I get some bitterness and cedar. I’m not getting too much malt. The fact that it has that berry taste, is flat and there’s not much malt taste makes me think this is more like juice than beer. It’s not really working for me.

(Wifey note: I haven’t tried it since we bought it back around Father’s Day, but it didn’t work for me either. Fruit and beers rarely work, in my opinion).

Even though I wasn’t a fan of Wellington’s Ce’Da Bitter Blue, I’m happy they brewed it. I think it’s great that they’re trying out new beers every month and doing something different. Not every beer is gonna be a hit and that’s fine. I’m hoping they discover different things with each new brew - and that’s only going to lead to better beer in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment