Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Amsterdam Oranje Weisse

Yet again, I'm at work, and Jeff has decided to have a beer. But he made a rookie mistake just after removing this bottle from the fridge. Read on to learn more!

Amsterdam has released a new beer called Oranje Weisse - in their words, “an unfiltered Flemish style white beer.”

Let me start off by saying I completely screwed up pouring this beer. After having poured the beer. I read this nice note on the side of the bottle: The Weisse Roll: Prior to opening, lay the bottle on its side and gently roll back and forth.

This isn’t the first weisse I’ve had out of a bottle but I’ve never done “the roll” before. A quick search on Google reveals that its suggested for pretty much all unfiltered wheat beers. So don’t do what I did and just pour it into your glass straight from the bottle - otherwise all that yeast stays in the bottom of your bottle and isn’t distributed through your beer. And that yeast provides a lot of extra flavour.

A quick side note: I know some people don’t like the yeast suspended in their beer. For some people it causes some intestinal problems - for those who want minimal yeast, not rolling your bottle will cut down on a lot of that.

Anyways, so the Oranje Weisse I poured (without the yeast) is a yellow straw colour. Had I included the yeast, it would be much cloudier. The head dissipates pretty quickly, leaving a small ring around the edge. The beer has a nice banana and spice smell. Even though I have next to no yeast in my pour, the beer still has lots of flavour. There’s banana, coriander, orange and clove. I think these beers (weisses, hefe-weizens, wits) are good beers to introduce to people who don’t like more run of the mill beers but like fruity coolers. Granted they’re not sickeningly sweet like most coolers, but they do offer that fruitiness and show off just how different beers can be.

I’ll likely be buying this beer again. I like the one I had tonight and I know its only going to taste better after pouring it properly (what a rookie mistake).

1 comment: