Friday, April 15, 2011

Nickel Brook Gluten Free Alcoholic Beverage

Jeff's sister has recently become gluten intolerant. Neither of us can imagine living life like that. No beer? That’s just wrong. 
She’s been trying out all kinds of gluten free alternatives to things. Some have been pretty good: her gluten free pizza is actually good. Other things have been pretty horrible. 

Here's Jeff's take on a gluten-free beer:  
She’s been trying to convince me to try Nickel Brook’s Gluten Free. She says it’s great and that I’d probably like it too. I’ve been resisting because a) the track record for gluten free products has been mediocre at best; and b) her taste in alcoholic beverages is not my cup of tea (Bacardi Breezers and that kind of thing).

Today when I was in the LCBO, I saw Nickel Brook’s Gluten Free in cooler and I thought, “What the hell, why not?” I finally gave in to trying it.

Nickel Brook doesn’t call their product beer. I’m guessing that’s because there’s no barley in it. But they do advertise on the back of the can that it has a taste that will satisfy any beer lover. That’s dodgey right there since I’ve yet to find a beer that everybody loves. 
So I’m assuming they’ve gone with the “medium bodied ale with moderate hoppiness” approach - a beer that appeals to no one in particular (but isn’t offensive to anyone either) and is immediately forgettable. But they are working without the advantages of gluten so I’ll cut them some slack.

The beer pours the colour of apple juice. It fizzes up to a big bubbly head - and then almost instantly disappears. I know gluten is key in trapping gases to make bread rise, I’m assuming some of the same mechanics carry over to head retention. I could be way off though. There’s also zero lacing. After sitting for 5 minutes, it looks like you have a glass of carbonated apple juice.

It smells a bit like pears and apples. It has the same kind of taste. Mild cidery taste of apples and pears. Thankfully it’s not sickeningly sweet although there’s no hops in either the aroma or taste (I guess “any beer lover” can live without that). Ya... this doesn’t taste like beer at all. It doesn’t even taste like bad beer.

I love beer. If I ever became gluten intolerant I have no idea what I would do. But I do know this: I would not drink Nickel Brook’s Gluten Free. Never.

No comments:

Post a Comment