Monday, April 4, 2011

Muskoka Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout

Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout is Muskoka Cottage Brewery’s previous seasonal. I’ve already seen their Summer Weiss in stores so I know I’ve been slow to review this.

I’ve also been slow to try this; I’ve had this bottle in the cellar since before Christmas. I’d heard all the great praise for it - I believe it was the number one rated beer (for Canada) on either ratebeer.com or beeradvocate.com - but for some reason I still wasn’t intrigued enough to try it before now.

The beer pours pitch black. Only around the edges of the glass do you get a little ruby-brown colour. The head dissipates quickly and there’s next to no lacing. There’s no mistaking the dark chocolate smell off the beer. That’s pretty much all I get off it - the chocolate is just so over powering. I’ve read that other people can smell the cranberries but I can’t.

The beer’s pretty thick - it’s not quite a milkshake but it’s getting there. The dark chocolate taste is equally smooth, no real harsh edges. I think I might be able to detect the cranberries in the finish. There’s a bit of a tartness to balance the chocolate and it works nicely. Overall, though, the beer is still pretty sweet and I would likely have it as a dessert as opposed to with a meal.

I’m not sure why I didn’t have that urgency to try Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout, it was a mistake. I might not want to drink it all the time, due to the sweetness, but it is certainly enjoyable. With any luck you can still pick up some bottles at the LCBO. If not, I’m guessing Muskoka will make it available again next November.

No comments:

Post a Comment