Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Goose Island Sofie Belgian-Style Farmhouse Ale

When Jeff and I went to Chicago a few years ago, we stopped into Goose Island one evening and really enjoyed the selection of beers they had on tap. They were clearly a brewery that enjoyed experimenting.

So Jeff was happy to see the Sofie Belgian-Style Farmhouse Ale in the LCBO recently.

"It pours a nice straw colour. The smell is fairly typical for the style: Banana, lemon and clove, and pepper. For flavours, I get honey along with grass, as well as some of the same flavours that were in the aroma," he said.

He said there's also some "alcohol burn" even though the beer is only 6.5% abv., "but it's not overly distracting."

"It's a really great beer overall," he said.

"They suggest it can be cellared for up to three years. I have one bottle left and I'll try to age it for a while - but I don't think I'll be able to hold out for three years."

It's nice to know this brewery is still producing good, craft beer, considering it was purchased in 2011 by Anheuser-Busch. Andrew Goeler, Goose Island's CEO as of Jan. 1, told Crain's Chicago Business their parent company is "letting us do our own thing ... I'm not getting directives."

The Goose Island brewpub sign.

Mmmmmm.



1 comment:

  1. Great blog... so nice that you can both enjoy craft beer together.

    ReplyDelete