Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Beau's Screaming Beaver

Jeff picked up a holiday four-pack from Beau's and one of the brews is the Screaming Beaver Double IPA.

Even before he opened it, Jeff was excited, saying, "This is gonna be good."

The beer had a good head on it and poured a nice copper red.

Knowing I'm not an IPA fan, he had me try it anyway.

I shouldn't like it. But I didn't hate it. I didn't find it insanely bitter. In fact ... it was good. I might not order it in the bar, but if Jeff had it, I'd have more than a sip.

Jeff's first impression upon tasting the beer wasn't completely glowing.

"The barrel is the dominate flavour," he said.

"I'm not really getting any of the hops," instead tasting oak, bourbon and vanilla.

"Part of the problem is that is says double IPA, but it doesn't drink like a double IPA," he said. "A label can set you up for expectations."

But as he drank, it grew on him.

"I'm liking it more now that it's warming up a bit," he said. "It's delicious."

Beau's says this beer is an "amped up version" of their Beaver River. From the website:

This monster weighs in at 9.9% alc./vol. and 99 IBUs. Screamin’ Beaver has been dry hopped and aged on oak staves. Even scarier than the stats, this beer is incredibly drinkable and nicely balanced. Be very afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment